Skip to main content

Software update: Progress

By August 15, 2019August 20th, 2019No Comments

Our team is absolutely dedicated to delivering a safe and reliable product for our customers. At no point do we wish to have our customers put in any potential harms way. We understand the frustration that delays cause and the universal desire to deliver more boards.

We have been working around the clock on the software patch, writing code, testing and repeating on a daily basis without stop. Our focus is to get this fix implemented as quickly as possible so that shipments can resume and you can enjoy riding your board that you’ve been waiting so patiently for.

We’re pleased to say we’ve made a lot of progress and have identified problems and are testing solutions. As we did in our last blog we will provide a brief summary as well as more technical details for anyone interested.

We use a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) chip made by Texas Instruments which uses the latest BLE5.0 standard. There have been some new revisions to the Texas Instruments SDK (Software Development Kit) that address issues that we have diagnosed. Along with the fixes we have been testing, we believe these fixes will resolve the issues and provide our customers with a very stable, secure, and safe riding experience.

Some of the changes implemented in the updated SDK introduce new features that are formally part of the BLE5.1 specification which further improve connectivity and security.

Based on current testing and coding cycle we are anticipating to be completed with the necessary changes by September 10th, at which point we can retroactively update all customer boards and resume shipments.

The Jed Garage™ app

Our software team has been focused heavily on resolving the connectivity issues, however we plan to push an initial public release of the app to the Google Play and iOS App stores before we resume shipments to ensure smooth updates and diagnostic functionality to customers.

Once deliveries have resumed our team will continue outfitting the Garage with more functionality.

The technical details

The software we are developing for the dual core, dual radio BLE5 chip is based on a continuously improving Software Development Kit. Since our initial decision to implement this chip, Texas Instruments has publicly revised the silicon three times and the SDK many more times. Through our close relationship with TI, we began development for the platform well in advance of market availability. Because the ongoing revisions to the SDK, we must track all changes and functionality between builds as the changes can be significant.

As mentioned in our previous blog, we discovered issues within our state machine that resulted in a loss of throttle/brake control under specific RF interference events. Over the last two weeks we’ve been testing software changes to lower the probability of the disconnection events and to reduce the latency of the connection recovery process.

Our offensive spurious RF interference playback testing has indicated that our previous firmware, based on the last stable release of the SDK, was susceptible to accidental or malicious (in a lab setting with exact playback) interference. We are now transitioning to the latest stable SDK revision that integrates new preventative measures into the base firmware, further streamlining the radio API. Due to the differences between these SDK revisions, some previously implemented protocols and functions are potentially redundant and counter productive. Specific, targeted testing of these functions is required to determine if they should be preserved or removed. Likewise, known working code must also be reviewed for unseen complications resulting from the transition.

Updated stable firmware based on the new SDK is expected within the next week.